How To Write Songs: Writing Top Songs
The 6 Steps To Create a Good Song from Start to Finish
- 1. Getting a song writing idea i.e. the spark.
- 2a. Turn the song idea to a melodious chorus.
- 2b. OR Turn your song idea into a lyrics (poem style).
- 3. Completing and arranging your lyrics.
- 4. Composing infectious melodies to your lyrics.
- 5. Demo your song (recording it at home).
- 6. Producing your song (recording it in a professional studio).
Write Hit Songs Yourself
The Steps. How to Write a Hit Song
Getting a Song Idea(a.k.a. Your Spark) 3 COMMON SOURCES OF SONG WRITING IDEAS (a.k.a. Your Spark)
- Your passionate experience
- A striking melody in your mind
- Your spark can also come from reading.
Turn Your Song Idea to a Melodious Chorus.
STEP 2a: Develop it
By now I believe that you have a solid song writing spark. i.e. an idea or a passion that you feel like singing about.
You are not in lack of song writing ideas any more right?
Now lets turn your song idea into a melodious chorus or hook.
If your song writing idea in Step #1 above was melody inspired. Then you are 80% done on this Step #2
You need to adapt your chorus with the contemporary music standards, using bars and beats.
The contemporary industry standard for a chorus is 16 Beats. This is equal to 8 Bars.
You can use a metronome to constrain your song expressions.
A metronome is good for both tempo and rhythm in songs.
Bars and Beats helps your timing in music creation. We wont get deep into the concept of bars, beats here.
It is only important for you to understand that bars and beats helps to constrain your song. To ensure it does not last forever.
Before it get all confusing. Here is the summary.
Feel free to express your self in singing BUT remember that the song should not last forever.
Contemporary radio songs don’t last for 10 minutes 🙂 That is the whole essence of bars and beats.
Bars and beats guide you to know when to conclude a particular song section. So that you can move to the next part.
PLEASE! I hope it’s clear?
the goodmusicAfrica upcoming Song of the Day
- I am Missing You - A Love Song LekanA 3:47
Like it? Download It
Remember that Good Music Africa can help you through any of the 6 song writing steps.
Turn your song idea into a lyrics
…just like a poet
And below are the recap of the remaining steps.
- 3. Completing and arranging your lyrics — This is the time for you to write lyrics for your verses and bridge. Remember the bars & beats? — You will need 16 bars or 32 beats to limit each verse of your song.
- 4. Composing infectious melodies to your lyrics — This is the act of turning your lyrics into a singable melody
- 5. Demo your song from home — Recording your song pieces in a non professional studio environment.
- 6. Producing your song — This is where you go into a professional studio session to deliver your recording.